So, my dad is not really a sappy, sentimental guy, but he IS crazy about sentimental value. Yesterday had to rank way up there on his sentimental value-o-mometer. We celebrated Thanksgiving at our family farm...which we have never done before.
Here's the background: My grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Germany in 1956. The very first thing that they purchased and paid off here was a couple hundred acre farm in the rural part of my state. You see, their families had lost EVERYTHING during World War II and my grandfather knew that living in the land of freedom, if you own property...no one can ever take that away. So, this land, is like everything to us. It will never be sold, never be divided, it will always be in our family.
Up until this year, the farm was just a hunting place and the occasional place to go ride ATV's, go fishing, etc. Then this year my father and my uncle decided that they old farm house just wouldn't do anymore and they commenced to building a cabin. This cabin turned into quite the thing. Example: The TV's in the cabin are nicer than all of the TVs in my dad's own home! So, yesterday we gathered and spent time with one another. It was a beautiful day and I think that everyone thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
It's days like yesterday when I am reminded of just how blessed my life is. I'm reminded that I need to live in the now and be grateful for every breath that I get to take.
************************************************************************************
On Saturday I spent $200.00 at the big box store that starts with a W. I nearly died. Right there in the line. I'm never going to get new furniture. Stupid Food. AND everybody in the various families that I'm associated with is currently up in arms about gift exchanges. We don't have the money!!! Why is it so hard for people to understand? We have children to buy for and they are our FIRST priority.
Although, I do feel distinctly sorry for The OPs father and step-mother. Pepaw has three children and Memaw has four. All of their children are married and all of them except one have children of their own. Several of those children married people that already had children. They have seven kids to buy for, seven spouses to buy for, and NINETEEN grandkids to buy for. God bless their souls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment