Our new couch is coming tomorrow, our new couch is coming tomorrow! I want to shout it from the rooftops. Can you tell that I'm excited?!?!
I'm having one of those days where I hate my job. It's such a complicated mess as to why I hate it. I'll try to explain. I work for a family company. The Big Cat and his brother started the biz in 1980 and it has grown and grown and grown. Now, my mom works here and my other aunt and uncle work here. We're just one big happy family.
Originally when I went to college I had dreams of being in the medical field. After one semester...I changed my mind. I decided that this company was the thing that I knew about the most and that as my father's only child it was my duty to stick around and be here even when he's gone. So, that's what I've done. When I first graduated college I got my real estate license and we started building houses. I was in heaven! I'm telling you...absolute heaven. I loved it. I was busy, I was happy, I was fulfilled, I didn't have to sit in the gray tomb. Then all of that changed as the market began it's slow down and now here I am today. I sit day in and day out in the gray tomb doing work that I would rather not be doing. I know, I know...I shouldn't complain. But, I am...right now.
You see, if this is going to be my sentence at this company then I want to be in charge...of the office. I want to have power. I want to know how to do every job. I don't necessarily mean that I have to achieve all of this right now, but I would like for this to happen in the next 5 to 8 years. I have been working at this company since I was 13 years old. No one loves this place more than I. I know that I'm capable and I pretty much think that I deserve it. Alas, two things stand in my way. My mother (who doesn't worry me much) and my aunt. Now my aunt is actually only 10 years older than me so we are more on the lines of the same age. Currently she is the accounting manager due to the fact that she got here before me. I feel like I'm never going to get anywhere here because of her. She's great at her job and I would never want her to leave, BUT...I have no idea what to do. This didn't bother me so much when I was house building. Now, though, is a different story. I really don't see any great solution. I refuse to allow her to be my boss. Absolutely not. I answer to one person at this company...The Big Cat and that's how it's going to stay. When he's gone, I will answer to no one. Sorry...I'm a brat, but that's how it is.
Just for positivity sake here are the pluses to my job. Great hours, no overtime, flexibility, small office environment which I like, I know the boss better than the boss knows the boss.
Also, we are currently in the process of accepting applications for an office position. I really really want to hire someone that is young. I do not think that this position requires experience. I'm sorry but I don't. Some education, yes, but not necessarily experience. Almost every resume that my aunt put on the top of the list was someone that was her age or older and someone that had gobs of experience. I just don't agree. I'm looking for a friend here people...hire someone young so that I at least have a chance. Geez.
Today has just not been a good day. At one point I wanted to scream like a young child. And that, my friends, is never a good thing.
2.04.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment