2.13.2008

Life Group

The OP and I have been seeking a way to broaden our circle of friends for a long time now. We both have friends, but it's just that we don't really have many "couple" friends. It seems that The OP doesn't like the chosen mates of my friends and I really don't like any of his friends. So, we needed to work on this. We LOVE to spend time together just the two of us, but still it's important to share our lives with others and we know that.



We belong to a wonderful Church in our area and we decided that the most wonderful thing we could do to become "connected" at said church would be to join a small group. So, last night we went to our small group "launch". The OP and I came away from it feeling v unsure. Let me explain.



I am 26 and he is 30. We have two children, but they do not live with us all the time, they live 45 minutes away. I do not have children...I am a step mother. The other couples at the launch were a) older than us; b) all the couples except one had been married for 10+ years; c) all of the couples had children 8 and older except one. One couple actually had EIGHT children, the oldest of which was 16. Our main objective for being in a life group is to make friends. Hopefully friends that will be lifelong friends. We are completely open to being in a group with people that are different than us. People who have children. People that make more/less money than us...whatever. But, we do want some sort of commonality. As I was sitting around the table last night I (we) just weren't seeing it. These women have experienced SO much more than I have. When we tell the people in our life group about the baby I want to feel like they sympathize and that they can relate. I don't need another mother talking to me about her experience (x 8). Being in a group and getting to know these people doesn't excite me and I think that it should...if this were the right fit for us.

As of right now I'm pretty sure that we are going to start from square one again. I hope that we are not making a mistake.

Tomorrow I have another appointment. There will be an ultrasound. I'm praying a lot.
6 weeks today.

No comments: