12.11.2007

Christmastime

Can I just say that this is BY FAR my most favorite time of the year. Christmas is something that I look forward to all year long. It's not necessarily about Christmas day but it's about the season as a whole. The tree, the lights, the baking, the church services, the shopping...all of it. I love it. The good, the bad and the ugly. I am a sucker for family time and the holiday season is chalk full of it. Last weekend we went and saw the movie Fred Claus. We had heard mixed reviews about this movie so I was a little anxious about seeing it, but we took the boys and my mom and we went. I was in heaven. It was Christmas galore and the movie really did have a great message. Of course, the movie was no Forest Gump, but it was great. I was beaming when I left the theatre. I can't help being a sucker.

Every year our company adopts a family that needs help. THIS is the other thing that I love about the season. I look forward to helping these people all year long. If I had money I would do this for people all the time because I love it soooo much. This year our family is from my hometown and we found them through some people that we know in the school system. The family consists of a mom and a dad who both work full time but don't have any health insurance and they barely make it. There is a grandmother with whom the family has had to move in with. They have five children. Ages: 6,7,8,9,10. We bought them tons of clothes, some toys, toiletries, dry goods, and we were able to put a few hundred dollars towards the family's electric bill. I dream about the looks on those children's faces as they open their gifts. I can only imagine the relief that their parents will feel.

The OP and I aren't buying gifts for one another. We're buying new living room furniture. Glory be to God! No more slipcovers, no more 20 year old couches, no more feeling like I still live in a dorm room.

No comments: