My insatiable need to take care of people. I have no idea where it came from, I have no idea why I feel this way...period. I am an only child. So, therefore when I was growing up I didn't have to take care of anyone but myself. I did have a lot of cousins, though. Several of them were significantly younger than me...maybe that's it. It's a puzzle.
Most only children are glad to be only children. I, on the other hand, feel really cheated out of the sibling relationship. Really...I do. I'm bound and determined to have at least two children because of it. But, I digress. I am 26 years old and if there is a lost soul out there I will find it and I will take care of it. Generally, I only do this for people that I already know and love due to the fact that I'm very untrusting of people I don't know. For example....Just between now and June I am planning or co-planning 4 baby showers and 1 bridal shower. Rediculous, I know. Why do I do this to myself? I always get myself into these things and then I think, "would these people do this for me?" In most cases that answer is no.
With The OP I truly believe that part of my initial attraction to him was because he was like a wounded puppy trying with all of his might to be healthy again and rise above his past. I helped him do that. I encouraged him, I supported him, I loved him when he most needed to be sincerely loved. Now, I'm being rewarded for all of the trials and tribulations of that beginning. I wouldn't trade our beginning for the world.
When friends have problems, I'm the first one they call. Last summer I spent six weeks dealing with my bff and her troubled relationship that she was DISTRAUGHT over while simultaneously counseling another pregnant friend and trying to convince her not to get her second abo.rtion. Those six weeks were soooo tiring and draining for me. I'll never forget it. BUT, I did it. I helped them. I couldn't find it in myself to turn them away and I'm telling those two friends had completely gone off the deep end. With my Bff I was worried about her life...that's how bad it was.
I really could go on and on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I often do the same for people. But I end up taking inall their worries and concerns. Until recently, I did not realize that I also have to take care of myself. I need someone like you and I that will take care of me.
As for the baby showers- that os a lot of work and time and money, but I'm sure your friends will really appreciate it, even if they wouldn't repay the gesture. You do it because you care- not because you expect anything in return. And that's adirable.
Post a Comment